Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hello!

Hello everyone! This is the beginning of my new blog about Art Therapy, Psychotherapy, and life in general. The most exciting thing happening this week is that I am moving into my lovely new office at 825 E. Speer Boulevard in Denver. Here is a picture of my building:

For those of you who may not be sure what Art Therapy is...here is a short explanation. Art Therapy is the practice of utilizing creative media to support health, wellness, and healing. In this form of counseling, we incorporate artistic materials of all kinds to engage emotional, psychological, and behavioral difficulties within a person. Both the physical creation of art as well as the image itself can reveal insightful patterns, beliefs, and emotional challenges that the individual may be struggling with both consciously and unconsciously. A creative image can serve as a tangible metaphor for an individual who may not be willing or able to speak verbally about their difficulties. In this way the art can speak for the person, honoring their experience and reflecting back to them the powerful internal feelings and challenges they may be encountering. 

I adore Art Therapy. I believe in its healing potential. I feel strongly that there is nothing quite like creative expression. After all, human beings have been creating artistic imagery since the very beginning. I am grateful for this gift our ancestors passed down through the generations, and feel inspired by its limitless potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment